Dexter the Barbarian: Pure Cartoon Network nostalgia dose

Since my online avatar almost everywhere is a cute version of Dexter from Dexter's Laboratory, naturally, I decided my Steam profile needed a Dexter knight/warrior variation. I aimed for a Paladin in my searches, but no dice. Many minutes go by until I stumbled across Dexter the Barbarian, an image by DeviantArt artist EluSilimaure.

Dexter and Dee Dee as barbarian warriors in a full-frame wallpaper illustration

And I immediately stole it and put it on my Steam profile! But after a little more browsing, I'm surprised to realize these images are all based on an actual episode, one which I completely forgot I watched back when I was a kid and loved! Titled, unsurprisingly, Dexter the Barbarian, this has to be one of my favorite episodes ever!

Dexter the Barbarian Full Episode in High Quality

Clocking in at 6:54, this will be the best-spent 7 minutes of your life. A pure nostalgia hit of that old-school Cartoon Network, Genndy Tartakovsky style of animation, with Dexter and swords, battles, and hot Dee Dee. What more can you ask? Watch it for free here.

That was delicious, wasn't it? Now, before we go any further, I would like to thank a Facebook commenter who wrote that they would have also loved to see the "D & DD" episode. And that makes perfect sense!

D & DD Full Episode in High Quality

In this one, Dexter and his friends go on a pen-and-paper RPG adventure. But for Dexter, things don't go as planned, as usual! I kind of love the episode now, but I kind of low-key hated it when I was a kid. That's because I especially wanted Dexter to succeed in this episode: be a knight in shining armor and not a wimpy minstrel or whatever he was here. Enjoy this longer episode from here.

OK! Now let's see what the Dexter the Barbarian episode inspired in terms of fan-made art. Sources: EluSilimaure, Shayeragal, DaCommissioner.

Dexter the Barbarian character redesign concept art by EluSilimaure
Close-up shot of barbarian Dexter and Dee Dee's faces from the wallpaper.
Dexter's mom reimagined as a fierce barbarian warrior holding a sword.
I bet you weren’t expecting that last one! LOL! Neither did I… And now let’s see some stills and screenshots from the episode in case you want them as wallpapers or something.

Still from Dexter's Laboratory showing Dexter the Barbarian sliding across the ground.
Episode still of Dexter the Barbarian attacking a warrior skeleton with a sword.
Episode screenshot of Dexter gliding through the air on a dragon's back.
Still from Dexter's Laboratory featuring barbarian Dee Dee resting near a river.
Barbarian Dee Dee looking toward Dexter while sitting on the riverbank.
Episode still of barbarian Dee Dee getting ready to stand up near the river.
Dee Dee resting one hand on the ground while watching Dexter near the water.
Dexter and Dee Dee sitting together by the river in Dexter the Barbarian.
Dee Dee looking toward Dexter as he runs away in the distance.
Dee Dee looking surprised as a wild wolf chases Dexter near the river.

Knights of The Periodic Table

In addition, did you know about this Knights of the Periodic Table 2003 book? Neither did I until I stumbled across it while researching this article. This is one of many books published by Scholastic Inc. for the Dexter's Lab series. I am unable to find it available in print in any store - you can check the links that Goodreads has on it by clicking on the above.

Front cover of the 2003 Scholastic book Dexter's Laboratory: Knights of the Periodic Table.

But if you sign up for an account on the Internet Archive, you can go through it digitally in around 10 mins. It's a fast and funny read, and the dialog and exposition are written in that specific medieval English way, which adds a lot of flavor. This book (I assume) also inspired a few fan art images on its own. Sources: adrianmacha20005, WildandNatureFan.

Fan illustration depicting Dexter wearing a full suit of medieval armor
Crossover fan art showing knight Dexter holding hands with a Powerpuff Girl princess.
Fan art of knight Dexter gallantly kissing the hand of a Powerpuff Girl princess.
Fan art of Dexter attempting to pull a sword from a stone while a Powerpuff Girl watches.Group fan art featuring medieval versions of Dexter, Mandark, Dee Dee, and the Powerpuff Girls.

I know they are a little silly and childish. But when did that become obsolete or unenjoyable? I think perhaps we should (at least sometimes) go back to simpler times when just watching your favorite cartoon on a Saturday morning was everything you needed. A time when there was no need for the hustle and bustle, multiple espressos a day, and too much busyness. Don't you?
Mai nouă Mai veche